Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pro-Women != Anti-Men && Loud != Angry

In a culture that values women who are sweet, quiet, pretty, and agreeable, I'm aware that firmly standing up for my beliefs is not going to make me more likable (to men or to women). I'm at peace with the fact that people will label me as angry and abrasive because I refuse to conform to our society's expectations of women. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by people who love me because they know I will not go gentle into that good night. :)

I'm loud when it comes to the fair treatment of women in tech because you have to be loud to bring about social change, and we need a full-on cultural makeover in tech. Women in tech deserve to be treated fairly and respected for their value instead of being ogled, assaulted, and made to jump through hoops like circus animals. It isn't other women who are imposing this nonsense; it is men.

My assertion of these realities does not mean that I hate men -- far from it. I don't even hate the men who have made it very clear that they hate me. Hate is an energy vortex that serves no purpose but to create misery, and I have no desire to create misery for myself or anyone else. Some of the men I've worked with in tech have been my strongest supporters and allies. Not only do I dearly value their friendship and the work we've done together, but I'm smart enough to recognize that a cultural revolution in tech is not possible without their support. I need these men to stand up and be loud with me when it comes to gender equality.

I want to spark a rich dialogue that includes both women and men, and hopefully leads to a shared desire for positive cultural change. If that makes you uncomfortable or leads you to believe that I hate men, I'm pretty sure you're not in my camp, and I'm not going to waste energy arguing with you or hating you. I need that energy to support and lift up women and men who are smart, kind, tenacious, compassionate, and focused on leaving the world a better place than they found it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment